How to make the perfect Cornish pasty
Have you ever wanted to make and bake a perfect Cornish pasty at home but are not sure how to achieve this? Well look no further than this pasty recipe, which should make 4 large , perfect pasties
shortcrust pastry (recipe below)
500 grams of beef skirt
salt and pepper
500 grams of strong plain flour
250 grams lard
250 ml of very cold water
- Roughly rub the lard into the flour. Do not worry if there are some larger lumps, this makes the pastry a little flaky.
- add the water and form the dough as quickly and with minimal hadling. It doesnt matter if your pastry is not all smooth looking.
- Make the pastry an hour or two before you want to make the pasties and put it to rest in the fridge
- Peel and slice all the veg and meat, making sure the meat is cut into nice tiny pieces.
- Roll the pasty out so it is about 4-5 mm thick then us a side plate, or dinner plate if you like them huge, to cut around.
- Start with a good layer of potato, then add a layer of swede, followed by onion and then top off with the beef
- Lastly season with salt and pepper. We use half a teaspoon of salt and quater of a teaspoon of pepper, evenly sprinkled.
- Now it is time to crimp your pasty, choose your style, top or side. Please see the video below on how to crimp.
- glaze your pasty with an egg wash.
- preheat your oven to 210 C
- Place pasties in the pre-heated oven and cook for 20 minutes
- Turn down the oven to 170 C and cook for a further 45 mins or 60 mins if a dinner plate was used as the template.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 to fifteen minutes. Eat and enjoy your home made pasty.